Why I created a blog

Its been many years since I first created this blog. It has remained true to Essbase and related information over those years. Hopefully it has answered questions and given you insight over those years. I will continue to provide my observations and comments on the ever changing world of EPM. Don't be surprised if the scope of the blog changes and brings in other Hyperion topics.


Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Data Export, why I never thought of it

All of the posts on OTN lately about the Export command got me thinking about something I found by accident (and should have realized all along). We all know if is possible to do a parallel export using the MaxL Export statement just by supplying multiple export file names separated by comas. I always write a script to do exports because it is quicker than exporting in a single file format from EAS.

 I thought it odd that EAS did not give you the option to do a parallel export. Stupid, stupid me. It does, it just does not slap you in the face being obvious to tell you. I expected a check box and a place to list each file name in it's own box. You know bells and whistles sort of stuff. No that would be too easy and intuitive. To do a parallel export from EAS you just list the export file names separated by comas (just like MaxL D'oh).


I selected export from Sample.Basic and entered sample.txt,sample1.txt and ran it. I then went to the file system and in \hyperion\products\essbase\essbaseserver\app (sheesh could they make the path longer please), I found Sample.txt with a size of 214 K and Sample1.txt with a size of 212 K. It couldn't have been easier. 

The moral of the story is, if you can do it in MaxL you can most likely do it elsewhere. Get creative and try.

No comments: