Why I created a blog

Its been many years since I first created this blog. It has remained true to Essbase and related information over those years. Hopefully it has answered questions and given you insight over those years. I will continue to provide my observations and comments on the ever changing world of EPM. Don't be surprised if the scope of the blog changes and brings in other Hyperion topics.


Sunday, October 2, 2011

Larry’s Keynote

Sitting with Edward Roske, listening to  Larry Ellison’s Keynote.Forgive me if this post is a little disjointed as I’m typing as I listen. I’m going to post this  He spoke about the success of the Exadata and Exalogic machine. His  talk discussed  parallel processing and the infinaband network to make it fast. Moving data fast is the key to speed of processing. Everything including the VM had to be optimized for performance and reliability. Another performance enhancement is 10X data compression which means les cost and less data movement. Again this means moving data  faster.  In the Exalogic case 100 times faster. Add to all of this DRAM and Flash to put almost everything in memory to create optimal speed for lower cost.
Why am I talking about all of this and how does it relate to Essbase? Well I let the cat out of the bag in my previous post. Larry announced the new Exalytics Intelligence Machine. Extreme performance  In Memory Analytics. Hardware and software merged to provide speed of thought Analysis (Gee we have been saying that about Essbase for years).  Now there is a machine than can support it. It uses a completely different UI. Everything is in memory, parallel versions of OBIEE< Essbase and Times 10.  This means huge improvements in Essbase performance. There will be a new UI for this machine because of the speed of query. It will be adaptive self tuning of  in-memory cache to optimize query based on workload.
lphoto (4)
Look at the hardware specs. Impressive
photo 2
Here is what the performance improvement is for OBIEE
photo (5)
Here is Essbase performance
photo 1 (2)
Notice the comparison of Essbase 11.1.2.1 vs. 11.1.2.2 for Exalytics. I guess they had to make some changes for in memory processing
photo 2 (2)
Finally a summary
photo 3
Daddy(Edward), I want one for the holidays. Will you buy me one?

No comments: