Why I created a blog

Its been many years since I first created this blog. It has remained true to Essbase and related information over those years. Hopefully it has answered questions and given you insight over those years. I will continue to provide my observations and comments on the ever changing world of EPM. Don't be surprised if the scope of the blog changes and brings in other Hyperion topics.


Thursday, September 8, 2016

FCCS Dimension Security


Just a short post today. Everyone else in the world probably knows this, but I learned something new working with FCCS and dimension security. I was having an issue where I had not set up security on a number of dimensions, but when I used a non-admin user, and tried to retrieve data in Smart View I got nothing more than the dimension name and #No access



It took working with Development to figure out the issue. It turns out in FCCS you can “Unsecure” dimensions that were secured in FCCS (and probably PBCS and EPBCS). When I set up the application, it secured all of the dimensions, without me knowing it. In order to see the members, I had to actually add security rules to every dimension to get data.
 


That should not have been necessary.  What I discovered (with oracle Help) was that at the dimension level, you have to turn on or off security. There is a check box that sets it. Last I remember, on-prem, this was greyed out and could not be unset once set. In FCCS, you can turn it on or off.
Once I removed the security rules I added and unchecked it, everything worked hunky dory! I could see the hierarchies and my retrieval now retrieves data.

No comments: