Why I created a blog

Its been many years since I first created this blog. It has remained true to Essbase and related information over those years. Hopefully it has answered questions and given you insight over those years. I will continue to provide my observations and comments on the ever changing world of EPM. Don't be surprised if the scope of the blog changes and brings in other Hyperion topics.


Monday, December 12, 2016

An undocumented Update in the FCCS Dec-16 release

The other day, I blogged about the changes in the Dec-16 release for FCCS.  As it turns out there is a bug that was fixed (well partially fixed) that people might want to know about. It relates to reporting currencies. First a little history. Back in August, I submitted an SR which turned into a bug.  The issue was for the currency dimension, specifically when you create a reporting currency.

To do that, I went into the currency dimension and simply checked the reporting currency box for the currency I wanted.


The next time the Essbase database was refreshed, I had a new reporting currency. Nifty. The member name for the new reporting currency is CAD_Reporting, no problem, The Alias for the member is "CAD"  Hmmm the alias is the same as the member name of the input currency. If you tried to retrieve data in Smart View with Aliases turned on, an error popped up about an ambiguous member name can't be resolved.  
 
I know what you are saying (I can read your mind). Just remove the alias from Cad_Reporting and all will be good.  Nice idea, but unfortunately, we can't edit the aliases for reporting currencies.
 
In the Dec-16 release although it is not documented, the issue is partially resolved. Now when you retrieve from Smart View you will not get an error about the name. if I retrieve the following sheet (Of course my POV is set to retrieve data properly) I get:


 
Looks good. If I switch to aliases (or just type in Cad_Reporting while Aliases are turned on) I get:
 
 
No error, but now which is which? Both say CAD, but the one on the right is really the alias for CAD_Reporting and the one on the left is the member name for the CAD input currency.   So at least now we don't get the error retrieving the data, but it will be a bit confusing for the users. They really have to put in "CAD_Reporting" and not the Alias CAD even when they have aliases turned on.  It should not be too bad until they completely fix it as the input currencies are not really used much, but expect to get questions about why what appears to be the same intersection provides different results.
 

No comments: